Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Final Inspection


On November 11 people were forced to stop and think of what day it was. As so many do every other day of their lives. They stopped to think of their errands for the day, go to the grocery store, go to the doctor, pick up kids from day care... etc etc... Most people never thought twice about it being a holiday. Veterans day for that matter. Veterans are people who have served, and are currently serving. Over seas or not, each person who is or was an honorable member of the military is a veteran and with out a doubt in need of a THANK YOU.

This year I sat to think of that day. The first veterans day I actually took the minute to think about it. I was rudely awaken with a brand new meaning for that day. Some wives are sitting at home with this day being a reminder their husbands are in constant danger, some a day to remember their husband is home safe for the moment, but for some a day to remember that their husbands gave their life for their country and today is an honorable day for them. Not many stopped to think about world war 2, or 1, or vietnam, and their victims, their meanings. Even though you don't have a broad history of these wars, these men still should be honored.

On this day I say a man in his twenties or so laugh at a Vet because he was asking people to sign a banner to send to those over seas. Support our troops. In recent weeks protesters against the war have gone to military funnerals for those who honorable gave their lives over seas for US! I have also seen people call our military sinners because of the things they do at war. I have hear of our servicemen believeing these rumors and find themselves in humane and unable to deal with it. I found this poem and thought I would honor them, and let them know that I believe this to be true to its fullest extent no matter what religion.


THE FINAL INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass,
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
The soldier squared his shoulders and
said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod,
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

So please... If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand infornt of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment